Yesterday I got an opportunity of having an exciting session on Industry Use cases on Automation using Ansible. All thanks to Mr Sreejith Anijan (Principal Instructor in Redhat), Mr Arun Eapen (Director, APAC Service Delivery, GLS RedHat Asia Pacific) for imparting us wonderful session for real use cases of Ansible.
Got to learn many new things, the first point of attraction was the welcome note from Mr Arun Eapen on the subject why industries need to automate their trivial works from manual to digital and from digital to automated and due to pandemic situation this has speeded up and wanted all the possible works to be automated
The session was all about Ansible and Ansible Tower. As we all know automation is one of the most important parts of today’s for any organisation, all of them want to be fast and Ansible is a tool which is meant to be fast because it is simple, powerful and can be integrated with almost any technology.
Ansible Tower is a web-based solution that makes Ansible even easier to use for IT teams of all kinds. It’s designed to be the hub for all of your automation tasks.
Some of the important features of Ansible Tower are listed below.
→ Ansible Tower Dashboard: It displays everything which is going on in your Ansible environment.
→ Multi-Playbook Workflows: It allows to chain any numbers of playbooks, any way of the usage of different inventories, runs different users, or utilizes various credentials.
→ Real-Time Job Updates: Ansible can automate the complete infrastructure. Also, you can see real-time job updates such as plays and tasks broken down by each machine either been successful or failure.
→ Scale Capacity with Cluster: You can connect multiple Ansible Tower nodes into an Ansible Tower cluster as the clusters add redundancy and capacity, which allows scaling Ansible automation across the enterprise.
Here are the major take away from the session:
- Automation is a core foundational aspects for almost all technologies such as Cloud, Machine Learning, Linux, DevOps, IoT etc.
- Automation is the need for industries in this fastest-growing technology world. Industries require scaling of resources which is a manual and tedious task, this can be automated using automation tools such as ansible.
- There are multiple tools for automation like ansible, chef, puppet, salt, terraform etc but Ansible is the easiest, light, agentless and best tool for automation.
- Ansible works best when you integrate it with existing tools. Ansible can be used for automating cloud provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, orchestration and many more IT-related things.
- Ansible tower is the next best thing in automation using which you can launch instances on the cloud, create a workflow for running multiple playbooks, integrate it with notification app like slack, automate things which do not have direct support from ansible using python virtual environment, create custom credentials etc.
- Terraform + Ansible = Terrible
The session added lots of meaning on top of our current learning, with interactive QnA. Got a chance to learn many new technical terms and got to see live of industry-standard tools like Ansible Tower, Redhat VM’s and their configuration online, ChatOps. orchestration meaning and a lot of new things. The instructors were gentle and calm. And last but not the least thanks to Vimal Sir, Preeti Mam and entire ARTH team for this awesome session.